It was agreed at the meeting of the Royal Meteorological Society's Council held on 19 June 1901 that, in memory of George James Symons, who died in 1900, a gold medal would be awarded from time to time for distinguished work in connection with meteorological science. A representation of the Tower of the Winds at Athens would appear on the reverse side of this medal. The medal was designed by Mr Frank Bowcher of Chiswick and the dies for it were furnished and executed by Mr John Pinches of 27 Oxendon Street, London SW. The design, showing the Tower of the Winds has the inscription 'Royal Meteorological Society' around it. It was adopted as the logo in 1902 and has appeared on the title page of the Quarterly Journal since 1903. The current RMetS logo was introduced in 2004. The Tower of the Winds design is still used on the back of the Symons Medal.
The logo to the left features the Tower of the Winds. The Tower of the Winds, or, to give it its proper title, the Horologium of Andronikos Kyrrhestes, was built about 40BC by the astronomer Andronikos of Kyrrhos. This octagonal marble building, which stands about twelve metres high, originally served the triple purpose of sundial, water-clock (clepsydra) and weather-vane. According to Vitruvius (Marcus Vitruvius Pollio, Roman architect of the 1st century AD), the tower was originally surmounted by a revolving bronze Triton holding a wand which pointed out the face of the building corresponding to the wind.