RMetS Podcast - Episode 7
Podcast Episode 7: Women in Weather
This year, International Women's Day is on Thursday 8th March. Our “Women in Weather” podcast celebrates the achievements that have been made so far, but also discussing the obstacles that still remain for women working in the scientific sector.
We’ve spoken to seven meteorologists, climate scientists, education and outreach practitioners and managers about their career paths. We also discuss issues they may have faced as women in the workplace, such as how we can addressing the issue of short-term contracts in academia, job-shares and maternity leave, how we can encourage more women to ask questions at events, and how we can actively inspire more young girls to fully participate in, and choose, STEM professions.
Our seven speakers and times they feature on the podcast are:
- Professor Ellie Highwood, Professor of Climate Physics, University of Reading (1:28)
- Professor Liz Bentley, Chief Executive, Royal Meteorological Society (9:20)
- Jennie Campbell, Consultant & Former CEO at MeteoGroup (16:08)
- Dr Cat Muller, Head of Public Engagement, Royal Meteorological Society (20:42)
- Dr Sylvia Knight, Head of Education, Royal Meteorological Society (24:03)
- Felicity Liggins, Outreach Manager, Met Office (29:29)
- Dr Lindsay Bennett, Instrument Scientist, National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS) (34:09)