Could you be the new Photo Editor of ‘Weather’?
We are currently looking for a Photo Editor for Weather, the 'house journal' of the Society, published monthly for our members. The journal acts as a bridge between those having a professional and a general interest in the weather, and others working in related sciences such as climatology, hydrology and geography.
A dream role for anyone looking to enthuse a large readership in a variety of weather and climate content, supported by the Co-Editors, Society, Publisher and Editorial Board.
The successful candidate will ideally have extensive knowledge of weather and/or climate science as well as a passion for photography.
In addition to working on our member publication, the candidate will also be a member of the judging panel for the increasingly popular and internationally recognised annual Weather Photographer of the Year competition.
Key responsibilities are as follows:
- Selecting one front cover image and three inside cover images for monthly issues of Weather
- Selecting six photos (along a similar theme, if possible) for the photo page in seven of the twelve issues per year
- Writing short captions to accompany the selected photos, based primarily on information provided by the photographer
- Maintaining an online repository of photos submitted by members for consideration for publication in future issues
- Liaising with photographers when images are selected for publication - seeking permission to publish if not already given and obtaining details for the caption if not already supplied with the image.
- Sending images and captions to the publishers for preparation of each issue (normally this is done about two months in advance of publication)
- Attending Weather Board meetings (6 monthly - either in person at the RMetS HQ in Reading, or remotely)
- Occasional proof reading of papers
- Being a member of the judging panel for the annual Weather Photographer of the Year competition
Please email Alison.Brown@rmets.org with your CV and covering letter, and please share with anyone who may be interested. The closing date for applications is Monday 4 January 2021.