The Society invites nominations for the awards and prizes shown below, for 2017, which will be presented in 2018. The full regulations for the awards are shown in the Standing Orders. Further information and Nomination Forms are available at the foot of this page. Completed Nomination Forms should be sent to the Chief Executive (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 20 October 2017 for:
- The Mason Gold Medal awarded biennially to a Fellow of the Society for outstanding contributions to the understanding of the fundamental processes that determine the variability and predictability of weather and climate.
- The Buchan Prize awarded annually to members of the Society for a paper or papers published in the Society’s journals in the preceding five years and adjudged to contain the most important original contribution or contributions to meteorology.
- The Hugh Robert Mill Award awarded biennially for original research into the distribution of precipitation,or into the variation of precipitation in time at any place, or into precipitation either as a meteorological phenomenon, or in relation to climatology, agriculture, water supply, water power or other applications.NOTE: This was not awarded in 2016 and so nominations are sought for this award in 2017.
- The LF Richardson Prize awarded annually for a meritorious paper published in the preceding four years in a Society journal by a member of the Society who is an early-career scientist (no more than 15 years into their career, excluding career breaks).
- The FitzRoy Prize awarded biennially for distinguished work in applications of meteorology or related sciences.
- The Adrian Gill Award awarded annually, to a member of the Society who has made a significant contribution(s) and author paper(s) in the Society’s journals in fields interfacing between atmospheric science and related disciplines, thereby being referred to as “multi-disciplinary”. Related disciplines include:oceanography, hydrology, biogeochemistry, numerical methodologies, etc..
- The Society Outstanding Service Award made annually for outstanding service to the Society by its members or staff.
- The Gordon Manley Weather Prize awarded annually for any outstanding contribution to Weather through a paper or papers or service to Weather in the preceding five years that have furthered the public understanding of meteorology and oceanography.
- Climate Science Communication Award awarded annually in recognition of outstanding scientific contributions Climate Science, including proactive outreach activities.
Honorary Fellowship is a lifetime accolade made to a select group of distinguished individuals whose careers in meteorology (or a related science) or as a public figure renders them a leader and role model within the meteorological community and an inspiration to future generations. Honorary Fellowship is limited to just 30 individuals at any one time and is the highest honour bestowed by the Society. A list of the current Honorary Fellows is available on the Society’s website at http://www.rmets.org/about-us/people/honorary-fellows-rmets. Please use the form attached to submit your nomination.
Please complete and return this form plus a 2 page (max) CV of the nominee by 20th October 2017