University Degree Courses
To become a leading research or applied scientist, a good degree from a university is essential.
You may have a Meteorology degree, but people also enter the field with degrees in physics or maths. An increasing number of people enter the profession with degrees in associated subjects, including computing, environmental studies, physical geography and electronics.
Click on the University name below to see the Meteorology related courses on offer.
Note: Courses which have been accepted as fulfilling the requirements for core content under the Society's Chartered Meteorologist Accreditation Scheme have been highlighted with a *.
Areas of Specialisation
- Air Pollution Meteorology
- Atmospheric Chemistry
- Atmospheric Modelling
- Aviation Meteorology
- Boundary Layer Meteorology
- Broadcast Meteorology
- Chemical Oceanography
- Climatic Change
- Climatology and/or Applied Climatology
- Cloud Physics and/or Chemistry
- Commercial Meteorology
- Customer Relations/Care/Services
- Data Processing
- Dynamical Meteorology
- Education and Training
- Electrical Phenomena
- Forensic Meteorology
- Forest Meteorology
- General Climatology
- Groundwater Hydrology
- Impact Based Forecasting
- Instrumentation and Measurements
- Marine Meteorology
- Meteorological Research Support
- Military Meteorology
- Numerical Analysis or Forecasting
- Physical Oceanography
- Planetary Atmospheres
- Polar Meteorology
- Satellite Remote Sensing
- Solar Energy/Renewables
- Space Weather
- Statistical Climatology
- Storms (Cyclones, Tornadoes, Tropical, Extra-Tropical)
- Synoptic Meteorology
- Weather Modification
- Wind Engineering
1. BSc. Meteorology and Climate *
2. BSc/MMath in Mathematics and Meteorology *
3. MMet Meteorology and Climate with a year in Oklahoma *
4. BSc Physics of the Environment
5. MSc/Diploma in Applied Meteorology *
6. MSc/Diploma in Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate *
7. MSc/Diploma in Applied Meteorology and Climatology with Management *
HM Officers’ METOC Course/CPO Forecasters’ Qualifying Course – FOST HM *
If you would just like to learn more about the weather and climate, without needing a formal qualification, the following courses may be of interest.
Weather Courses for Pilots
Weather courses designed to give you skills and knowledge to fly with confidence.
Weather Courses for Sailors
Comprehensive courses ideal for beginners, or as a refresher for experienced sailors.
Weather Courses for Industry
Courses designed to give you the confidence to plan your activities and maximize opportunities.