The weather and climate of the areas around the north and south poles is some of the most dramatic, extreme and beautiful in the world. The area around the north pole, the Arctic, is also experiencing the world’s largest response to greenhouse gas emissions.
(Image The Himawari-8 satellite captured two powerful extratropical cyclones undergoing explosive cyclogenesis and reaching their peak intensity near Japan on January 23, 2018. - Credit NOAA)
Polar Weather Resources
- Can Arctic warming influence UK extreme weather?
by Edward Hanna, Richard J. Hall, James E.Overland
First published in Weather, 08 November 2017
Related RMetS resources
theWeather Club articles
- From -30 °C to + 30 °C within one day
- Weather facts: Antarctica
- Inside the Ice - What a French glacier taught me about climate change by Anita Vollmer
- Svalbard’s Sea Ice, where is it now? by Dr Michelle McCrystall
- Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event
- Polar stratospheric clouds
Jobs and Courses
Polar weather resources for teachers