Call for Nominations - 2023 Awards
The call for nominations for 2023 is now open!
Nominations must be submitted via our online platform by the closing date detailed below. Additional information regarding each award can be viewed on the Awards page. If you have any questions regarding submitting a nomination, please email email@example.com.
Nominations for Awards
The Society invites nominations for the following Awards for 2023, which will be presented in 2024. Please submit your nomination online via our online platform by Friday 20 October 2023 for:
AWARDS FOR ADVANCING SCIENCE
- Mason Gold Medal and Lecture for Lifetime Achievement in Advancing Science: awarded biennially to a Member or Fellow of the Society for outstanding contributions to the understanding of the fundamental processes that determine the variability and predictability of weather and climate
- The Buchan Award for Scientific Advances: awarded annually to Members of the Society for a paper or papers published in the Society’s journals in the preceding five years and adjudged to contain the most important original contribution or contributions to meteorology.
- The Hugh Robert Mill Award for Precipitation Research: awarded annually for original research into the distribution of precipitation, or into the variation of precipitation in time at any place, or into precipitation either as a meteorological phenomenon, or in relation to climatology, agriculture, water supply, water power or other applications.
- The Adrian Gill Award for Advances at the Interface of Atmospheric Science and Related Disciplines: awarded annually to a Member of the Society who has made a significant contribution(s) and authored paper(s) in the Society’s journals in fields interfacing between atmospheric science and related disciplines, thereby being referred to as “multi-disciplinary”.
- The LF Richardson Award and Lecture for Early-Career Researchers: awarded annually for a meritorious paper published in the preceding four years in a Society journal by a Member of the Society who is an early-career scientist (no more than 15 years into their career, excluding career breaks). Please note that for nominations for the LF Richardson Award, clarification of the work done by the nominated person is required along with confirmation that they did most of the work for the paper being nominated.
- The Malcolm Walker Award for New Environmental Researchers: bestowed annually to recognise and encourage new environmental researchers from a wide range of disciplines who have brought new insights into an aspect of the environmental sciences, which includes elements of meteorology and/or oceanography.
AWARDS FOR EDUCATING, INSPIRING AND ENTHUSING
- The Climate Science and Climate Science Communication Award: awarded annually to a Member of the Society in recognition of outstanding scientific contributions to climate science that include proactive outreach activities.
- The Michael Hunt Award for Increasing Public Understanding of Meteorology and its Applications: awarded annually to individuals or collaborations for excellence in increasing the understanding of meteorology or its allied disciplines among non-specialist audiences, including members of the general public or particular groups such as mariners, schoolchildren, etc. The Award commemorates the achievements of Michael Hunt (1920-1985) who, as a TV weather presenter, was able to communicate his enthusiasm for the subject to his viewers.
- The Education Award: made annually for weather and climate teaching excellence. Awards are made in recognition of significant and sustained commitment to the delivery and/or support of teaching and learning, or the development and use of innovative teaching or training resources related to weather, climate and related applications.
- The Emerging Communicator Award: awarded annually in recognition of outstanding contributions to outreach and communication activities relating to meteorology and its impacts, including climate change to a person who has been communicating to non-specialist audiences about weather, climate or related topics for less than 5 years. It may be made for an outstanding, proactive and significant one-off contribution, or for sustained activity over a longer time period.
- The Gordon Manley Weather Award: awarded annually for any outstanding contribution to Weather through a paper or papers or service to Weather in the preceding five years that have furthered the public understanding of meteorology and oceanography.
AWARDS FOR IMPACT ON SCIENCE, POLICY OR SOCIETY
- The FitzRoy Award for Professional Meteorology: awarded for distinguished work in professional meteorology. Potential nominees are likely to be pursuing a career in meteorology or working in a role supporting meteorological services.
- The Award for Impact: made annually in recognition of people, projects or programmes within the academic, scientific, or business communities who have made significant contributions to educating, informing or motivating organisations in their response to meteorological challenges, for example climate change or significant weather events.
- The Award for Innovation in Development or Use of Observations or Instrumentation: awarded annually to recognise individuals or teams within the amateur or professional community, academia or business who have made significant contributions to the field of observation and instrumentation.
- The Award for Innovation in Development or Use of Computational Models, Tools or Visualisations: will be awarded annually to recognise individuals or teams within the amateur or professional community, academia or business who have made significant contributions to the field of computational models, tools or visualisation of their output or other climate or weather related data.
AWARDS FOR CONTRIBUTION OR SERVICE TO THE SOCIETY OR THE PROFESSION
- Honorary Fellowship: a lifetime accolade made to a select group of distinguished individuals whose careers in meteorology (or a related science) or as a public figure renders them a leader and role model within the meteorological community and an inspiration to future generations. Honorary Fellowship is limited to a small number of individuals and is the highest honour bestowed by the Society.
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Society or the Profession: awarded annually for outstanding service to the Society or the Profession by Members or staff.
- Society Volunteer of the Year Award: awarded annually to a Member of the Society who has made a significant contribution to the Society as a volunteer in the preceding year.
Full regulations for each award can be found in the Standing Orders.